Love Hope Strength Review
Upcoming Love Hope Strength Events and Review of 2014
2014 has been a big year for our partner, Love Hope Strength. The movement of “Saving a Life, One Concert at a Time” hasn’t only spread nationally, but internationally. So far, Love Hope Strength has collected over 84,881 registered donors’ names for the “Get on the List” campaign. If you aren’t familiar with the “Get on the List” campaign, it’s when LHS attends concerts, festivals and more to spread the word and get people to sign up for international bone marrow databases that they can find a match to save someone from life-threatening illness. LHS has matched 1,294 people with donors so far and we couldn’t be more proud of LHS for its life-saving work.
Love Hope Strength not only puts the list together of donors but also organizes teams to donate medical supplies, build and assist those who need care. Also in 2014, LHS sent 11 nurses and caregivers Tanzania with 1,200 pounds of supplies. They assisted with patient care and provided additional funds for oncology doctors.
Top 10 Love Hope Strength Accomplishments
- Purchased the first mammography machine for the country of Nepal.
- Purchased the first brachytherapy (internal radiation) machine for the country of Nepal.
- Funded a new wing for a cancer care center in Wales.
- Purchased a transport vehicle for a children’s cancer center in New Jersey.
- Brought supplies to cancer centers in need around the world.
- Hosted the first saliva-based bone marrow registration drive at a concert in UK.
- Funded the making of Everest Rocks, a documentary on cancer survivorship aired on Palladia and NBC’s Universal Sports.
- Funded a Public Service Announcement on the need for bone marrow donors.
- Funded the construction of the first dedicated children’s cancer center in Tanzania which opened in February of 2011.
- Funded More To Live For, an award-winning documentary about 3 men in need of marrow transplants.
Even though last year was a huge year for Love Hope Strength, founded in 2007, there’s even more to come in 2015. This month, LHS is sending its second team to Uhuru, the 19,341 foot summit of Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, for Kilimanjaro Rocks II. The first team went in 2009, and the funds raised from the trip were used to Love, Hope and Strength wards at the first dedicated children’s cancer center in Tanzania. This trip’s goal was to raise $200K and we were awed to see that not only was this goal met, but LHS has raised over $256,292.00 so far.
This trip is on January 5-19 and is hosted by LHS’ partner, The Impact Plan. 26 musicians and supporters will go including Cy Curnin of The Fixx, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms, Miles Zuniga of The Fixx and Brett Dennen.
If you aren’t looking to head to Tanzania anytime soon, you can catch Love Hope Strength at these local, upcoming events:
- 01/15/15: Less Than Jake & Reel Big Fish at the Ogden Theater in Denver
- 01/22/15: Railroad Earth- Denver at the Ogden Theater in Denver
- 01/28/15: Hunter Douglas Health Fair at Hunter Douglas in Broomfield
- 02/08/15: Brett Dennen at the Boulder Fox Theater
- 02/12/15: Less Than Jake & Reel Big Fish at the Boulder Theater
- 02/21/15: Westword Artopia at City Hall in Denver